Professional Resources for Sport and Exercise Psychology
Professional development includes formal and informal means for improving current skills and acquiring new skills. It provides students and professionals increased insights into their teaching, research, consulting, and service in applied sport and exercise psychology. Professional development should lead to professional growth. It is an essential activity of professionals as well as students. AASP promotes systemic, continued growth leading to professional excellence.
Professional development activities expose a CC-AASP to new and innovative techniques and tools, which can inspire continued growth and learning. Ultimately, continued professional development will advance individual students and professionals, AASP, and the field of sport and exercise psychology.
- Who's in Your Network? Networking Tips for Young Professionals
- Tips for Undergraduate Students Interested in a Career in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Lessons Learned at the Action on Obesity Summit 2007
- AASP Ethics Code
- AASP Postion Statement - Dealing with Professionally Unethical Behavior (PDF)
- AASP Ethics Committee: Report Comparing the APA and AASP Ethics Codes (PDF)
Below are past AASP newsletter articles that deal with ethical issues in sport and exercise psychology. Please use these articles to help you better understand these specific areas of ethical concern.
- Shall We Talk Over Lunch? How Much Should You Self-Disclose to Your Clients and Remain Ethical?
- Gee, I hate to bother about this, but…: Addressing the Unethical Behavior of Colleagues
- Ethical Supervisors: Responsibility Rolls Up Hill
- Ethics and Cultural Competence
- Thinking of Ethics: Competent Teaching
- Considering Ethics: Using the Internet in Sport Psychology
- Can You See For Miles? Supervision In Absentia
- Speaking of Ethics: Listerv Nettiquette
- Thinking of Ethics: There's a Rogue Elephant on the Loose!
- Ethics: Soft Core or Integral Fabric of our Field?
- Creating an Effective Poster Presentation
- Effective Presentations for Students (PDF)
- Helpful Hints for Using Powerpoint Slides in Presentations
Reading and Resource Lists
- Readings in Applied Sport Psychology: Psychological Skills Training (PDF)
- Reference List of Sport and Exercise Psychology Videos (PDF)
- Diversity References (PDF)
Performance Psychology Symposia Notes
- 2007 (PDF)
- 2009 (MS Word)
- 2010 (MS Word)
- 2011 (MS Word)
2012 Conference Presentations, Powerpoints & Supplements
- Dieffenbach: Coach's Education Powerpoint, AASP rate Domain Knowledge National Standards of Coaching Education, and AASP rate Standard Knowledge National Standards of Coaching Education
- Fox: Taking exercise psychology into public health research and practice
- Larson: Positive Development in Sports: The Active Minds of Youth
- Watson: AASPirations for a Bigger Tomorrow