*Deadline to apply is April 1, 2020.
The Student Diversity Award recognizes and honors the achievements of students involved in research, service, or applied experiences that focus on issues of diversity (i.e., race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, social class, disability) that impact sport, exercise, and health. The recipient receives a check for $500, a waived AASP Annual Conference registration fee in the year of the award, and a plaque presented at the conference.
The purpose of the Student Diversity Award is to:
- Encourage and promote student research or applied experience related to issues of diversity that impact sport, exercise, and health. (See AASP Position Statement on Human Diversity).
- Recognize and honor the achievements of students involved in research, service or applied experiences that focus on diversity issues, including, but not limited to race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, social class, or disability.
Applicants for the award must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current AASP student member at the time of submission and presentation of the award.
- Have made important contributions to the field of sport and exercise psychology in the area of diversity including but not limited to research, service, or applied work with clients, organizations or community groups dealing with diversity issues. Applicants need only fulfill one area (i.e., research, service or applied work) to be eligible.
AASP student members who feel qualified may nominate themselves and are encouraged to do so. In addition, AASP professional members are encouraged to nominate qualified individuals for this award.
- A three-page essay which addresses:
- (a) how the student incorporates issues of diversity into her/his research, service and/or applied work
- (b) the importance of addressing diversity in the field of sport exercise, or health psychology.
- A letter of recommendation from an AASP professional member familiar with the student’s work.
- An updated curriculum vita.
- Submit official graduate transcripts in print or electronically.
Nominations for the award should be submitted by April 1 to the Chair of the Diversity Committee. The decision of the Diversity Committee will be submitted to the Executive Board for final approval.
Rob Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org), AASP Diversity Chair
View a list of past Student Diversity Award recipients