Best Practices in Consulting (BPC)
The Best Practices in Consulting (BPC) initiative offers practitioners of all levels the opportunity to further their professional development with resources on effective, evidence-based, and ethical practice.
- To offer important considerations relative to new or emerging topics in sport psychology consulting
- To share advice from experienced practitioners on best practices in consulting
- To share learning experiences from new practitioners
- To provide resources for delivery of mental skills training
- To provide resources to aid the expansion and dissemination of knowledge to facilitate applied practice
- Lessons Learned from Legends in Sport Psychology: Just getting started in your career? Read insights from experienced practitioners in the sport and exercise psychology arena for their advice on breaking into this field.
How to Get Involved as a Consultant
- Get a Graduate Degree
- Become Certified
- Find a Mentor
- Continue Your Education
- Review AASP's Code of Ethics
Coté, J., Saimela, J., Trudel, P., Baria, A., & Russell, S. (1995). The Coaching Model: A Grounded Assessment of Expert Gymnastic Coaches’ Knowledge. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 17(1), 1-17.
Gentner, N. B., Fisher, L. A., & Wrisberg, G. A. (2004). Athletes' and Coaches' Perceptions of Sport Psychology Services Offered by Graduate Students at One NCAA Division I University. Psychological Reports, 94, 213-216.
Giges, B. (2013). On Becoming a Sport Psych Practitioner. Becoming a Sport Psychologist, 9-18.
Giges, B., & Petitpas, A. (2000). Brief Contact Interventions in Sport Psychology. The Sport Psychologist, 14(2), 176-187.
Lubker, J. R., Visek, A. J., Geer, J. R., & Watson II, J. C. (2008). Characteristics of an Effective Sport Psychology Consultant: Perspectives from Athletes and Consultants. Journal of Sport Behavior, 31(2), 147.
Martin, S. B., Akers, A., Jackson, A. W., Wrisberg, C. A., Nelson, L., Leslie, P. J., & Leidig, L. (2001). Male and Female Athletes' and Nonathletes' Expectations About Sport Psychology Consulting. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 13(1), 18-39.
Petitpas, A. J., Giges, B., & Danish, S. J. (1999). The Sport Psychologist-Athlete Relationship: Implications for Training. The Sport Psychologist, 13(3), 344-357.
Ravizza, K. (1988). Gaining Entry with Athletic Personnel for Season-Long Consulting. The Sport Psychologist, 2, 243-254.