The Dissertation Award recognizes the completion of an outstanding dissertation by an AASP doctoral student member (dissertation must have been completed between January 1 and December 31, 2021). The recipient receives a check for $500, a waived AASP Annual Conference registration fee in the year of the award, and a plaque provided during the conference.
AASP invites student members to submit applications for the outstanding doctoral dissertation award. Applicants for the AASP Dissertation Award must meet the following criteria:
- Completed a dissertation on a topic related to sport, exercise, and/or health psychology between January 1 and December 31 of the application year
- Membership in AASP the application year and year preceding application
- Submit one copy of the entire dissertation.
- Provide one original and one blind (no reference to author or affiliation) copy of a long abstract (recommended length is 2.5 to 3 pages, single-spaced to provide a comprehensive explanation of the dissertation). The abstract should include title, study purpose, method, results, and discussion.
- Include a letter of support (two pages maximum) from the chairperson/co-chair of the dissertation committee (or the student's supervisor/advisor or approved research officer).
- Include a copy of the signed and dated final submission document (used by universities to indicate the receipt and approval of the final, completed doctoral dissertation).
*Deadline for this award: March 1 of each year.
Please note. The deadline is based on completion of dissertation. Students on licensure-based programs who are working on their doctoral internships may need to apply prior to the completion of their doctoral internships if their dissertation was completed between January 1 to December 31, 2021.