The Dissertation Award recognizes the completion of an outstanding dissertation by an AASP doctoral student member (dissertation must have been completed between January 1 and December 31, 2018). The recipient receives a check for $500, a waived AASP Annual Conference registration fee in the year of the award, and a plaque provided during the conference.
AASP invites student members to submit applications for the outstanding doctoral dissertation award. Applicants for the AASP Dissertation Award must meet the following guidelines:
- Completed a dissertation on a topic related to sport, exercise, and/or health psychology between January 1 and December 31
- Membership in AASP the application year and year preceding application
- Submit one copy of the entire dissertation.
- Provide one original and one blind (no reference to author or affiliation) copy of a long abstract (recommended length is 2.5 to 3 pages, single-spaced to provide a comprehensive explanation of the dissertation). The abstract should include title, study purpose, method, results, and discussion.
- Include a letter of support (two pages maximum) from the chairperson/co-chair of the dissertation committee (or the student's supervisor/advisor or approved research officer) and a copy of the signed cover sheet (used by universities and signed by dissertation committee members indicating acceptance and completion of the dissertation work) with the application.
*Deadline for this award: March 1 of each year.
View the list of past Dissertation Award recipients