Mission & Values
AASP is the premier association working to ensure every performer has the resources to strengthen their inner edge through the advancement and application of excellence in mental performance and mental health. To do that we cultivate an inclusive ﬁeld of Certiﬁed Mental Performance Consultants® (CMPCs), licensed mental health professionals, educators, and researchers. Because when we research, train, and serve performers’ complete mental needs, we elevate their ability to perform and thrive.
We accomplish our mission through:
- Supporting and disseminating original and relevant scholarship and research that informs evidence-based practice of sport psychology
- Providing an engaging professional forum for networking and information sharing among members committed to scholarship and/or evidence-based practice
- Promoting our expertise and services for use by athletes, coaches, leagues & organizations, performing artists (dancers, musicians), military / tactical occupations and business professionals
- Mentoring professionals in all stages of their careers
- Upholding professional standards for competent and ethical practice
- Fostering societal awareness of the value of our expertise
What are our values?
- Excellence – we thrive on advancement and innovation, and strive for quality
- Respect – we strive to treat all people with dignity, open-mindedness, and esteem
- Integrity – we communicate directly with openness, transparency, and authenticity
- Diversity - we value an inclusive environment in which diverse backgrounds, assets, and perspectives are appreciated as enrichment to our professional, educational, and personal experiences
- Collaboration – we believe research informs practice and practice informs research, and we embrace the interconnectedness of human performance, well-being, and social functioning
- Service – we commit to using our knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide value to the broader community