Benefits of Certification
Learn more about applicant eligibility requirements for becoming a Certified Mental Performance Consultant® (CMPC) and access application forms on the How to Apply page of the AASP website.
The CMPC® certification program is nationally accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
Certification promotes quality
- Certification helps the public understand the importance of using mental performance consultants who have the background and training to provide quality services.
- AASP and the Certification Council have a strong commitment to support quality among mental performance consultants, and each person working in the field has a professional obligation to become certified and promote certification with our colleagues and students.
- Certification provides a system through which experienced consultants can be recognized as having passed a rigorous examination.
- AASP certification is a prerequisite to being placed on the USOC Registry that allows mental performance consultants to work with U.S. Olympic athletes and teams.
Learn about CMPC® certification
Certification provides a quality service to the public
- Individuals can go to the AASP website to find a qualified CMPC® to meet their needs and to better understand the qualifications they should look for when selecting a consultant.
- Each professional who wants to promote AASP and applied sport psychology has a professional obligation to this public service function of certification.
Certification helps increase consulting opportunities for CMPCs
- As more people become certified, AASP’s marketing efforts will become more meaningful and effective.
- As certified consultants become more visible:
- Consumers will learn that sport psychology has something beneficial to offer them (e.g., help them perform better, enhance enjoyment, increase adherence, improve interpersonal relationships, reduce injuries, and promote healing).
- Individuals seeking consultation will look for a sport/performance exercise psychology consultant who is CMPC® certified.
View the Compensation for Mental Performance Work Infographic